Tuesday 8 November 2011

F e S t I v I t I e S

There is so much beauty that can be found within the human spirit and this energy can be contagious when we are encouraged to be apart of something.  Besides the established public holidays that are officially marked down on the Japanese calendar in an effort to stimulate the economy, there are many other festivals and gatherings that celebrate historical tradition, culture, and even lighter and simplistic aspects of life in Japan.  I have always been one to enjoy celebrations and the festivals that I’ve been to in Japan have completely blown me away.  Since my stay here thus far, my favorite festival that I attended was the Daimonji Gozen Fire Festival in Kyoto.  “Records from the beginning of the Edo era show that the Daimonji Festival was already in existence, and it is said that the tradition originated when the monk Kobo-Daishi, praying for an end to plague, lit up the character representing 'large' in flame.”  The fires are lit as a way of guiding spirits from the dead back to the Buddhist Pure Land (Kyoto City Web).  It had been raining all day and my friends and I had been contemplating whether or not it was a good idea to travel all that way to only watch the rain put the fire away…  However, we were informed that it was not going to get cancelled and as we were so interested in seeing kanji characters get lit on fire, we decided to go!  And the rain was by no means of hindrance!

 

Daimonji Gozan Fire Festival in Kyoto.  August 16, 2011


We arrived too late to watch the kanji get lit up in the mountains, but there was enough fire in ‘large’ amounts for us to experience.  It was an incredible sight to see!
 
Although I wouldn't consider a ‘ramen show’ to follow along the lines of a historical ceremony, it can be looked at as a renown celebration.  Every year, the most famous ramen shops from around the country gather together and host the Tokyo Ramen Show.  I just so happened to be in the right area of Tokyo the weekend that it was being held and got to encounter the local specialties of 27 different booths of ramen noodles.  There were thousands of people at the show indulging in famous ramen, shopping in the gift shop tents, drinking beer, singing, and most importantly just enjoying life.

Komazawa Olympic Park


 



No comments:

Post a Comment